Friday, December 10, 2010

What's in a Name?

"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6 NASB How do you think about Jesus this time of year? Is He a baby in a manger? Is He simply another decoration in your home? Or does His name stir something deep-down within your heart and soul? The names of Jesus in this passage of Scripture gives us a picture of the Lord we serve. He is not just a baby, born of a virgin in a stable so many years ago. He is our Wonderful Counselor. Jesus lives within each one of us, abiding in us through the Holy Spirit He sent to dwell within believers. We have access to be counselled by the best if we would listen and wait for His wisdom. Jesus is our Mighty God. Who else could heal the blind, lame and sick? Who else has the power to raise the dead? He is also our Mighty God. Mighty are the things that He does. "Nothing is impossible with God," Matthew 19:26 (paraphrased). Who else is that mighty? Jesus is our Eternal Father. He was there when the foundations of the earth were put together. He is here now and He will be here when the earth passes away. He is the One who is, who was and who is to come. He will be there always in all ways. That is a Promise you can count on. Jesus is the Prince of Peace. He came into this world to give us peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:6-7). If you do not have His perfect peace, take the time to claim it for your own. It is there for the asking. All we must do is ask and in faith believe and receive. What a wonderful gift this Christmas to accept. The love and peace that only Christ can give us. Dear Lord, Thank you for the many blessings of my life. Father I pray in the name of Jesus that You would reveal Your truths to me in simple and clear terms. Father, I release my will and my ways and accept Your will and Your ways. Cover me with Your peace and joy You alone can give. Fill me with the fruits of the Spirit that I may be complete in You. Father, let me look past the baby in the manger and see the Man, Jesus who is here with me now, who always has been and always will be. Thank You for all You are. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There's Something about the Water

There's something about the water that allows me to box up all my cares and give them to God. When life gets heavy and I need to let go,...