Sunday, September 19, 2010

Peaceful Living

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God: and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 (NKJV) I used to think that to live was to worry. Worry was my constant companion. There was always something to worry about and when there wasn’t, I could quickly find something. Worry was my middle name. However, thanks to the grace and mighty power of the Lord, that is changing in my life. I remember walking in to see our new pastor – after my family had started going to church – with a heavy burdened soul. I was not yet convinced that the God who created the universe could ever really know me. Not only that, but why would He care about me. After talking with the pastor for a little while he looked squarely at me, leaned forward and asked “What are you looking for?” It didn’t take me long to reply. I told him in one simple word. PEACE. Then I shared that I wanted to have a life that was peaceful on the inside. I am not naïve enough to believe that God will make everything perfect in my life but I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could find a peace. The type of peace you carry inside, knowing everything will be okay even though all around may be trials and hard times. As I prayed about this and my prayer partners began to pray for me, I started to feel this place in my soul that felt sunny. It’s the only way I can describe it. Amidst all the turmoil and hardship and through all the tears; somehow God revealed to me in this place deep within that He was there and He was bigger than all that other junk going on. I remember praying one night and asking the Lord to show me what I needed and when I opened my Bible the verse at the beginning of this entry is the one that He showed me. I love this passage of Scripture. What a promise! God is so good. Although there are still struggles and situations that come up, I have this place where I know that everything will be okay. No matter what, God is bigger. His purpose is bigger. His aim is higher and His intention is always for good. Now when I am tempted to worry I try to remember this Scripture. I’m not always perfect or even good at it, but through His grace, His love and His timing, I know that all will work for good and there is much peace to find in that. Trust God to be Lord of your life. Give Him controlling interest and He will guide and direct your life to amazing places. Don't be like I used to be doubting Him, but put your faith in Him. Do not trust your feelings, but trust the fact that He wants more and better for you than you can begin to imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There's Something about the Water

There's something about the water that allows me to box up all my cares and give them to God. When life gets heavy and I need to let go,...