Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Conversational Bible Study

How many times have you sat down to read the Bible and didn't understand a word you read? Has this ever happened to you or am I the only one? It used to be a very familiar process for me. I love to read. I mean really love to read. I can read a 500 page novel in a couple of days without any problem. However, reading a novel and reading the divinely inspired Word of God are two very different things.
It has been my experience even now, when I take the Bible and decide I'm going to read it, I don't get much out of it if I approach it the way I do any other book. Yet, if I take the time to inquire of the Lord what He wants me to learn and pray that He will reveal the truth of the Holy Scriptures to me, His Word comes alive and the experience is fulfilling.
I have learned so much in the last few years, just changing my approach to reading the Bible. Prayer is so incredibly important. It is our way to have a conversation with God. We can come before Him and lay out our hearts without fear. When we read the Bible, we are hearing from God. When we pray or praise the Lord as we read we are entering into a conversation with Him. Isn't that exciting?
Take some time even now to pray before you read a passage and ask the Lord to reveal the truth to you. You may have to wait in His presence and He may answer you immediately. That is up to Him. One thing you can count on is His promise to hear you. He hears and He cares.
"Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord, And teach out of Your law, Psalm 94:12 NKJV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There's Something about the Water

There's something about the water that allows me to box up all my cares and give them to God. When life gets heavy and I need to let go,...